About Australia

Australia is a leading global education power house with some of the world's best facilities and educators. Providing local and international students with a range of quality study options.

Australia has the third highest number of international students in the world behind only the United Kingdom and the United States despite having a population of only 23 million. It is home to people from over 190 countries, and at least one in five Australians was born overseas. Cultural diversity is part of its national identity and is one of Australia’s greatest strengths.

Australia is one of the most popular destination for international students wanting to improve their English language skills.

Australia has five of the 30 best cities in the world for students based on student mix, affordability, quality of life, and employer activity – all important elements for students when choosing the best study destination.

Consider Australia has seven of the top 100 universities in the world! In fact, with over 22,000 courses across 1,100 institutions, Australia sits above the likes of Germany, the Netherlands and Japan, ranking eighth in the Universities 2012 U21 Ranking of National Higher Education Systems.

Governmental and institution support for international students are some other aspects that has made Australia a very attractive destination for students from all over the world. More than A$200 million provided by the Australian Government each year in international scholarships

Australia has produced 15 Nobel prize laureates and every day over 1 billion people around the world rely on Australian discoveries and innovations – including penicillin, IVF, ultrasound, Wi-Fi, the Bionic Ear, cervical cancer vaccine and Black Box Flight Recorders .

There is every chance Australia has you covered, with at least one Australian university in the top 50 worldwide across the study areas of Natural Sciences & Mathematics, Life & Agricultural Sciences, Clinical Medicine & Pharmacy, and Physics.

Australian Studies

Australian institutions educate over 400,000 international students per year. For many, the most powerful lure is the quality and the diversity of Australia's education system.

There are many benefits of studying in Australia. Students are attracted to the freedom to study and work and the lifestyle. They enjoy the challenge and freedom of studying overseas and the status that comes from studying at reputable institutions.

Australian universities are widely known for the quality of their teaching and research. Australia's approach to vocational education and training leads the world in innovation and quality.


The Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) is the national policy for regulated qualifications in the Australian education and training system. It incorporates the quality assured qualifications from each education and training sector into a single comprehensive national qualifications framework.

AQF qualifications link with each other in a range of learning pathways between schools, VET and higher education and work as an individual’s learning and career ambitions require. The AQF provides for flexible, transparent and systematic learning pathways and to the removal of boundaries between educational sectors.

The table below describes each level of the Australian Qualifications Framework as a pathways guideline. international students have to achieve the English proficiency required for each level's entry requirement.

AQF levelQualificationDuration of studyNote
Level 1Certificate I 3 to 6 monthsKnowledge and skills for initial work
Level 2Certificate II 6 to 8 months Knowledge and skills for work in a defined context
Level 3 Certificate III 12 monthsTheoretical and practical knowledge and skills for work
Level 4 Certificate IV 12 to 18 months Theoretical and practical knowledge and skills for specialised and/or skilled work
Level 5 Diploma 18 to 24 months Specialised knowledge and skills for skilled/paraprofessional work
Level 6Advanced diploma
Associate degree
24 to 36 monthsBroad knowledge and skills for paraprofessional/highly skilled work
Level 7 Bachelor degree 3 to 5 years Basic academic level for many professions
Level 8 Bachelor Honours Degree
Graduate certificate
Graduate diploma
6 months to 2 yearsMid level between Bachelor Degree and Master Degree studies
Level 9 Masters degree 1 to 2 years Focuses on practical and conceptual aspects of different disciplines
Level10 Doctoral degree 3 to 6 years A contribution of knowledge in any discipline

If you don’t meet the entry requirements to get into the course you want in Australia, there are many pathways that can help you reach your goal. This might include studying in an Australian school, taking English language preparation or studying a vocational education and training course. Another pathway may be Foundation Studies - one-year intensive preparatory courses available through the majority of institutions. These will give you the skills you need to enter an undergraduate (Bachelor Degree) course.

Foundation Studies

If you don’t meet academic requirements, there are a few options to prepare you for further study. Depending on your previous studies and the final qualification you want to study, you can enroll in secondary school or Foundation Studies.

Foundation Studies is usually a one-year intensive preparatory course that will give you the skills you need to enter an undergraduate course at a university or higher education institution. These studies are usually divided into streams such as business studies and science studies, and offer both compulsory and elective subjects. English language support is usually available.

Many schools, vocational education and training institutions, and universities offer Foundation Studies courses. The common feature of Foundation Studies is that a university allocates a provisional place in an undergraduate program assuming you achieve the prescribed grades.

Levels of Education

Australia offers a diverse range of study options for international students, with more than 1,200 institutions and over 22,000 courses to choose from. International students can study at all levels of education from English language courses to higher education Courses (Including Doctoral Degree). Find below a summary info for the levels of education in Australia.

English Courses

The majority of overseas students come to Australia to study English at any approved English school. English courses can be done either at private English schools, Universities or Vocational schools.

Depending on what you want to learn and your future goals there are many courses to choose from that can help you achieve your objective. Initially English studies start with General English courses which leads to courses that help with skills for a Vocational school or University, these courses are called English for Academic Purposes (EAP). Some schools have special designed courses called English for Specific Purposes (ESP) and Examination Preparation Courses to prepare students for exams like IELTS or Cambridge

General English

General English courses are for students of all English levels (from beginners to advanced) to improve general proficiency .

The courses cover the four main skills: reading, writing, listening, and speaking. Some schools also have extra conversation and grammar classes.

Most schools have a placement test on the first day. The test will cover some of the four main skills to see what level of English you have. Based on the test results, students will be placed you in the correct class with other students of the same level.

General English classes normally start every Monday. Other start dates will depend on the school and the season.

Courses can be either 20 or 25 hours per week. This means the student will have 20 or 25 hours of face-to-face contact with their teacher every week. Some schools have extra self-study hours where you can do further study with some teacher assistance.

Attendance is calculated based on the days that you go to class at your school. If you are on a student visa, part of your visa condition states you need a minimum of 80% attendance when you finish your course.

Once you have finished your course, you will receive a certificate from the school that shows the highest level of English that you have achieved. It will also show your length of study and your attendance.

English for Academic Purposes(EAP)

English for Academic Purposes is a preparation course. It is designed for students interested in studying Vocational and training courses(VET) or University courses in Australia.

Most of the English schools in Australia have EAP courses. Students will be automatically accepted if they have successfully completed the EAP course and will not need to undertake the IELTS exam.

If you choose to do the EAP module, you have to show your commitment with your studies. It is extremely important that you don't skip any class as you will learn skills that will help with your further studies. The basic skills are essay & report writing and presentation skills.

In order to be accepted at Vocational schools, the candidate have to show that has successfully completed the EAP 2 or a minimum of 5.5 on General IELTS.

For Universities, the candidate need a minimum of EAP 3 or 6.0 on Academic IELTS.

English for Specific Purposes(ESP)

ESP – English for Specific Purposes: This term refers to the teaching of a specific genre of mostly technical English for students with specific goals, careers or fields of study. Examples include English for Business & Management, aviation or tourism (for hotel and tourism professionals).

Examination Preparation Courses

There are a few examination tests available to evaluate the English language proficiency. The most popular exams are IELTS, Cambridge, TOEFL and TOEIC.


IELTS stands for 'International English Language Testing System'. The IELTS exam is internationally recognized as an assessment of English language. It is recognized in Australia, New Zealand, USA, United Kingdom by immigration authorities, professional companies and universities.

The IELTS exam evaluate the level of English language and the results can be used when applying to any Vocational schools, TAFE, and Universities. It is required when applying for an Australian permanent resident visa.

IELTS preparation courses at language schools in Australia usually start every month. IELTS exams are held every month at official IELTS testing centre. Bookings need to be made in advance to secure a place. Visit www.ielts.org to find the closest official IELTS testing centre.

The exam consists of four ‘bands’: reading, writing, listening and speaking. Each band is marked from 1 to 9 with an overall band score at the end. The overall band shows the level of English that you have reached.

IELTS is available in two formats - General Training IELTS and Academic IELTS.

General Training IELTS

The General Training format focuses on general survival skills in broad social and workplace contexts. It evaluate the day-to-day English language skills emphasizing vocabulary in a work environment or everyday life.

It is mostly used for work or study at a vocational level. General IELTS is also used for Immigration purposes in Australia.

Academic IELTS

The Academic format is, broadly speaking, for those who want to study or train in an university.

The Academic Reading and Writing modules evaluate if you are ready to study at an undergraduate or postgraduate level. University studies require an excellent English level as you need to write lots of assignments and read books or papers.

Therefore, if you want to study at any University, this is the format you will need to take. The minimum overall mark to be accepted by Universities ranges between 6.5 to 7.5.


The Cambridge exams evaluate the English language ability. It is recognized around the world by employers, universities and government organizations, especially in Europe.

The length of the course is ten (10) or twelve (12) weeks.

The Cambridge exam had held 5 parts: reading comprehension, writing skills, grammar, listening and speaking. The exams are held either three times a year (FCE & CAE) or twice a year (CPE).

Below are information about Cambridge exams of different levels of knowledge.

PET (Preliminary English Test)

Intermediate level of English. You should be able to understand written and spoken English in everyday work, travel and study situations. The exam is accepted by employers as reflecting your English ability.

FCE (First Certificate in English)

Upper Intermediate level of English. This is the most popular of all the Cambridge exams. This is the exam you should sit if you want to use English in a work or study environment.

CAE (Certificate in Advanced English)

Advanced level of English. Ideal for students needing to use English in a professional way (work or social purposes). You should be able to write and speak confidently on many complex issues.

CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English)

Cambridge’s most advanced exam. For students that have close to native speaker level of English. This course is for students who would like to enter university or another place of higher education.


TOEFL stands for "Test of English as a Foreign Language". It evaluates English proficiency for those pursuing academic studies

The TOEFL measures the test taker's ability to function in an English-speaking academic environment. The target test taker for the TOEFL is a candidate for higher education in an English-speaking country.

TOEFL is primary used for: English language programs/schools, especially for academic-track students. Placement test. Assessment of progress from beginning to end of course. Measurement of program effectiveness. Exit test and measurement of readiness for academic programs.


TOEFL stands for "Test of English for International Communication". It evaluates English proficiency for the global workplace

The TOEIC measures the ability to function in a general work environment. This test is used in non academic settings as a measure of the ability of a current or potential employee to communicate effectively in English in a variety of business settings and situations.

TOEFL is primary used for corporations to make decisions about recruiting, promoting, and deploying employees overseas. To determine readiness to participate in technical training conducted in English. To demonstrate learning progress in corporate training.

Vocational Courses

Vocational and training courses in Australia are called Vocational Education Training (VET) . These schools are recognized worldwide because of the practical experience and knowledge they provide.

These courses teach subjects that are practical based on the course you are learning. It links the information in the textbooks with practical knowledge. It is helpful to graduate and work in the area of study.

VET courses requires at least Upper Intermediate English level. Some English schools have direct links to VET schools. Others require a complete application with documents for the enrolment.

Some VET schools may ask you to sit a placement test to make sure you have the right English language level to understand the course.

Vocational schools are flexible with their timetable. Classes can be held in the morning, afternoon or evening. Attendance can vary from 2 to 4 days per week depending on what you study.

VET schools assess your academic performance, which means that you need to pass all academic exams and assignments to pass the course.

Some schools have Recognition for Prior Learning (RPL) when you show official documents of what you have studied previously and your work experience. This can reduce the length of your course by up to 6 months!

TAFE is Australia’s largest provider of vocational education and training. TAFE stands for Technical and Further Education. TAFE provides an accessible, affordable and flexible solution for all your training and further education needs.

The qualifications which you can receive at Australian vocational and technical schools fulfill international standards and will prepare you for a wide range of employment positions in addition to credit for future study.

Depending on what you study and how long it takes you can receive different types of certifications. There are six different levels you can graduate from. The levels are:

Certificate I - Takes around 3-6 months.

Certificate II - Takes around 6-8 months.

Certificate III -Takes around 12 months.

Certificate IV - Takes between 12 and 18.

Diploma - Takes between 18 - 24 months.

Advanced Diploma - Takes between 24 - 36 months


This is the first degree or degrees taken at university level. An undergraduate degree is usually an Associate or Bachelor's degree.

Associate degree

Two-year associate degrees lead to professional careers in areas including engineering and the environment, and are also pathways into bachelor degrees in similar disciplines.

Bachelor Degree

Bachelor degree or undergraduate degree involves 4 years of full-time study, providing the knowledge and skills for work in a specialist area. Within a bachelor program, there is often an opportunity to choose areas of specialization. You study a series of courses that all have a specific value (at UQ it is normally two units). To be awarded a degree you have to complete a total number of units with a certain number studied in specific areas.

The Australian higher education sector offers a complete range of university courses and programs leading to highly regarded and internationally recognized qualifications. Australia is the destination of choice for students from around the world looking for a quality education at an affordable price.


Postgraduate Studies are Studies undertaken in a course beyond a Bachelor's degree. It involves studying for degrees, professional or academic certificates, or other qualifications where a Bachelor's degree is required, it is considered to be part of higher education. Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma and Master Degree are the most popular postgraduate qualifications.

Graduate Certificate

Graduate Certificates extend a student's knowledge in a specialist area. They can help to upgrade qualifications or provide specific advanced practical skills required in specialist industries where that specialization is not covered in a Bachelor degree.

Graduate Diploma

A graduate diploma is generally a postgraduate qualification. The diploma is normally taken following a bachelor's degree and a successful award allows progression to a master's degree without having received honors with the bachelor's degree. Graduate diplomas, more in-depth versions of Graduate Certificates, extend a student's knowledge in a specialist area. They can help to upgrade qualifications or provide specific advanced practical skills required in specialist industries where that specialization is not covered in a Bachelor degree. They sometimes provide a means for people to move into a different field of expertise from that in which they studied for their Bachelor degree.

Master Degree

A master's degree is an academic degree granted to individuals who have undergone study demonstrating a mastery or high-order overview of a specific field of study or area of professional practice. Within the area studied, graduates are posited to possess advanced knowledge of a specialized body of theoretical and applied topics; high order skills in analysis, critical evaluation or professional application; and the ability to solve complex problems and think rigorously and independently. The degree is awarded upon graduation from a university

Doctoral Degree

A doctorate is an academic degree or professional degree that qualifies the holder to teach at the university level in a specific field of a degree, or to work in a specific profession. The most common doctorate is the Doctor of Philosophy or Ph.D. Ph.D.s and other research doctorates prepare students to initiate new projects that add to the collective knowledge base of the field. Candidates for and holders of Ph.D.s often seek careers as professors and researchers, but many also go on to varied roles in the nonprofit, public, and private sectors.

Where to Study

Australia is a large country with a range of diverse and beautiful landscapes. The country is divided into six states and two territories . Each state and territory has its own distinctive character, climate and attractions. In each of Australia's states and territories, there is a capital city as well as smaller regional cities and towns. Education institutions can be found in both capital cities and regional cities. Below are the most popular places to study in Australia.

Sydney -- Sydney offers a great lifestyle and high level of safety, making it the number one choice for many international students. Sydney is the biggest city in Australia, with a population of over 4.5 million. It is the country's financial and economic hub. Ranked as one of the ten most livable cities in the world by both Mercer and The Economist, Sydney is Highly multicultural, with over 30% of residents born overseas

Melbourne -- Named the world’s most livable city for the second year in a row, Melbourne is a leading education destination for international students. In 2012, the QS World University Rankings judged Melbourne as the leading student city in the Asia-Pacific region. The 2013 QS rankings confirm Melbourne's position as one of the world's top five student cities.

Brisbane -- Brisbane is the capital city of Queensland and the third largest city in Australia. Boasting all the attractions and facilities of a large city, Brisbane provides world-class educational facilities, mixed with a vibrant and active lifestyle.

Gold Coast -- With over 70km of sandy beaches, the Gold Coast boasts tropical rainforests, multiple theme parks, a magnificent hinterland and an action-packed city life. It is also home to some of Australia’s leading educational institutions.

Perth -- Perth offers a unique place to study, at a unique point in its history. The driving force of the Australian economy, our city attracts leading thinkers and teachers from around the world, reaching international standards of excellence in education and industry

Sunshine Coast -- An hour north of Brisbane is the Sunshine Coast, world-renowned for its beautiful beaches, national parks and friendly communities. If you enjoy a relaxed lifestyle and a supportive study setting, then the Sunshine Coast is the destination for you.

Adelaide -- Adelaide’s universities have been popular with international students for many years and continue to sit high on international listings. And just recently, the city’s status as an education hub has been further boosted by the arrival of two of the world’s best universities.

Canberra -- Students in Canberra enjoy a balanced education with opportunities for intellectual, sporting and cultural development. International students are made particularly welcome, with high quality Government education in a safe, friendly and multicultural city.

Cairns -- Cairns is the heart of Tropical North Queensland and gateway to the Great Barrier Reef and World Heritage rainforests. It is a multicultural society, famous for its extensive range of adventure activities, sparkling Coral Sea, and lush rainforests.

Byron Bay -- Byron Bay is a perfect destination for those who want to study English in a youthful but not too chaotic environment. Byron also offers job opportunities in hospitality and tourism. The lifestyle is relaxed and friendly: everybody in Byron Bay enjoys nature, culture and ‘the scene.

But Australia has far more to offer than its great cities. It also has a beautiful and diverse natural environment just waiting to be explored.

Study Costs

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) requires evidence that applicants for a student visa have sufficient funds to complete their studies.

Expenses to be considered include: Tuition fees, Visa and medical fees, General living expenses and Return air fares.

Tuition fees

Tuition fees per year for international students vary depending on what to study and the quality provided by the institution. The figures below are in Australian dollars and can differ in different cases.

For English study the costs range from AU$150 to AU$ 300 per week.

For Vocational courses(VET) costs range from AU$1,000 to AU$ 2,500 per term of 3 months.

For an undergraduate bachelor’s degree range from AU$15,000 to AU$33,000 per year.

For postgraduate master’s degree ranges from AU$20,000 to $37,000 per year.

For doctoral degree from AU$14,000 to $37,000 per year.

These figures do not include high-value courses such as veterinary or medical.

Student visas and medical fees

There are many different kinds of student visas for Australia, ranging in price from nil to AU$535. A non-refundable visa application charge applies to most student visa applications. Applicants who are bringing eligible family members to live with them in Australia while they study should note that an additional applicant charge applies for each family member included in a combined visa application. This charge is added to the base application charge and varies according to the age of the additional applicant(s). In addition, there may be other expenses associated with your visa application, such as costs for medical examinations, police checks and the translation of documents into English (if required). For more information.

As a visa requirement, you will need to organize Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for yourself and any accompanying family, and it needs to be valid for the length of your stay. Whichever you choose, ensure that it is government approved – there are currently only five that fulfill international student visa requirements. The cheapest option, for a standard undergraduate student (duration three years, starting in March, finishing in December) with no accompanying family, costs around AU$1,016, and the most expensive was around AU$1,449. Reducing the timescale to a year AU$290.46, and two years was AU$660.50. This numbers are for reference only, an appropriate quote is required for each student case.

General living expenses

In order to study in Australia, you will need to show you have AU$18,610 per year. Add AU$6,515 for your partner, AU$3,720 for one child and another AU$2,790 for every other child. You also need to show you have return air fare for yourself and every family member you take with you, plus AU$8,000 per year for school fees for any children aged 5-18.

But you may not need to spend that much once you arrive. It requires between AU$70 and AU$400 per week for accommodation, dependent on where you stay. Other expenses per week include: groceries and eating out from AU$80 to AU$200, gas and electricity from AU$60 to AU100, phone and internet from AU$20 to AU$50, public transport from AU$10 to AU$50, and entertainment from AU$50 to AU$100. To simplify, this works out to a minimum of around AU$300 per week. There are many ways to bring this number down. Living in a shared environment close to school where transport is not required and others circumstances may reduce the expenses considerably , it will depends on each one's lifestyle.

Apply to study

To study in Australia you'll need to apply for both admission to an institution and also for a student visa from the Australian Government.

There are a number of steps you must go through including:

1 .Deciding on your preferred course and institution and submitting your application,

2 .Receiving and accepting a Letter of Offer( which may require the payment of tuition fees and other charges),

3 .Receiving your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE),

4 .Applying for your student visa.

There is a range of entry requirements that you will need to meet both for you institution application and your visa application. This can include: Academic requirements, English language requirements, Evidence of funds to support your study, Overseas student health cover,

If you're already living or working in Australia, you may still be able to apply to study from Australia as an international student.

Education agents in your home country or in Australia can help with the application to study in Australia.

Application process

The first step is to apply for the course you want. There are two ways to apply:

1. Direct to the education provider. To apply direct, download the application form from the education provider's website. If you are applying for courses at more than one institution, you will need to submit a separate application to each institution.

2. Through an Australian education agent. It is recommended for students to have an education agent to help with the application. Most of consultants do not charge students for their service, they receive a commission from the institution. A consultant will help you prepare supporting documentation to send with your application. The documents vary depending on the course, provider and qualification you're studying for.

The most important documents include: Evidence of your English language proficiency, Certificates or documents which verify previous study or work experience (These must be translated into English).

Receiving your Letter of Offer

If your application is successful, you will receive a ‘Letter of Offer’. To confirm your offer you must respond to this letter by signing and sending an acceptance of offer back to the institution. This can usually be done by mail or, in some cases, by scanning and emailing the letter. The Letter of Offer is a contract between you and the institution. It sets out the course you will be enrolled in, enrolment conditions, the fees you need to pay, and the refund payable if you don’t complete your course with that provider. This contract is very important – if you don’t start your course, or finish your course, this written agreement will be used to determine if you will receive a refund.

Confirmation of Enrolment

After you have accepted your Offer and paid your deposit you will receive an ‘Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment’ (eCoE) by email. This will outline your course start date, total course fees and how long your course will run for.

Visa application

If you are applying for your Student Visa through the Department of Immigration and Citizenship’s online lodgment facility, you will need the details of your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment to lodge your visa application. If you are lodging a paper visa application you must provide the electronic Confirmation of Enrolment prior to the visa being granted.

You should make sure that you meet requirements for a student visa before you accept an offer and pay any tuition fees.

Entry requirement

To begin studying in Australia, there are a range of entry requirements you may have to meet.

English language requirements

In some cases, you may need to provide results of an English language test. Be aware that the English language skill level required by an institution can be different from the level of skill required for your student visa application.

Academic requirements

The academic requirements (including evidence of English language skills) you need to study in Australia will vary depending on the level of education you want to study. Institutions can have different entry requirements, so read the course information on their website carefully and contact them to ask for advice.

Below are some general guidance on entry requirements for the different levels of study(note that English proficiency are required for all of them):

English language - Entry requirements vary between institutions, and according to the level of English language course you want to study.

Vocational education and training - In most cases there are no entrance exams for VET institutions. However, some courses may have specific pre-requisite subjects or work experience requirements.

Higher Education Undergraduate - To gain entry into an Australian undergraduate course you will need to have an Australian Senior Secondary Certificate of Education (Year 12), or the overseas equivalent. Some undergraduate courses may also have specific pre-requisite subjects.

Higher Education Postgraduate - As well as the satisfactory completion of at least one degree at undergraduate level, your institution may take research ability or relevant work experience into consideration.

Tip: To meet the academic requirements of an Australian high school qualification, consider taking a Foundation course. Also called bridging study, they are intensive courses that will help you meet the entry requirements. They are usually one year long and are offered by most higher education institutions.

Visa requirements

The student visa you need depends on your chosen course of study. As a guide, the typical key requirements you will need to meet are:

Issued an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) certificate.

Sufficient funds for airfares, course fees and living costs.

English language proficiency.

Meet health and character requirements.

Acceptable Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).


In Australia, the application for a student visa depends on your nationality and what type of course you are going to study. These factors (nationality and course) will determine how comprehensive will be your application, i.e. which level of assessment will be applicable to your application.

Some students are able to complete a Student Visa Online Application through the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website, while others need to apply by post or in person at their designated Australian visa office. The application process differs depending on your assessment level, which will be one of five levels depending on your country of origin and the type of study you intend to undertake . The higher the assessment level (with Level 1 being the lowest and Level 5 being the highest), the greater the amount of evidence an applicant is required to demonstrate in order to support their student visa application.

Student visa applicants who lodge their applications with a CoE from a participating university for a bachelor degree, masters degree, doctoral degree, student exchange program or study abroad program are eligible for streamlined visa processing. These applicants do not receive an assessment level and are processed in a streamlined manner with reduced evidentiary requirements regardless of their country of origin.

Student Guardian Visa

If you are the parent or legal guardian of a child under 18 who is moving to Australia to study, you can also apply for permission to live in Australia as a student guardian on a Student Guardian Visa. Student guardians can live in Australia for the duration of their child's course or until the child turns 18. There may also be exceptional circumstances where a student over 18 years of age may need a guardian for religious or cultural reasons.

In order to be eligible, parents or legal guardians must meet the general and evidentiary requirements listed above relating to health, character and financial status. In addition, the applicant must:

be a parent, person who has legal custody, or a relative of the student for whom you will be guardian be at least 21 years of age

be able to provide accommodation, general welfare and other support to the student.

Important Notes

Once student have received the visa, there are requirements that must meet in order for it to remain valid, including;

Student must remain enrolled and maintain satisfactory course progress and attendance.

If wish to change qualification level student will need to apply for a new student visa.

Provide your Australian address to your institution so they can contact you, and let them know if student change address.

Student must continue to be able to support yourself financially while you're in Australia.

Do not breach the working conditions applicable to the visa.

Visa options and requirements are sometimes subject to change. In order to stay up to date, the best place to get accurate information is on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

Another option is to contact an education agent, who can help with the visa application, course application, and answer any other questions.

Education agents

Once you've made the decision to study in Australia and you know where you want to study and which course you want to undertake, you can enroll directly with the institution. If, however, you need more help with the admission application process, or the Australia visa application process, you can choose to use an education agent.

An education agent can tell you about your options for studying and living in Australia and assist with your visa and institution applications. In many cases, agents have had experience studying in Australia and can share their experiences with you. In addition, because they are dealing every day with application and visa application requirements they will be able to give you guidance for your particular situation.

Here are some tips for choosing an agent:

Under Australian Government law, every Australian education institution that uses the services of an education agent needs to have a contract with that organization.

Australian education institutions usually have more than one education agent appointed in a country so speak to more than one agent – collect and compare information.

Under Australian Government law, every Australian education institution has to list on their website every education agent it has appointed to represent them in each country.

Choose an education agent with experience helping students study in Australia – they will have a good knowledge of the Australian education system, visas and life in Australia.

Make sure that the agent is an authorized representative of the institution that you want to apply to. You can ask to see their letter of appointment from the institutions if you want.

Ask about any fees that may be levied for using their services.

Have a third party or friend help you understand the documents before you sign any documents.

Remember, education agents cannot guarantee a permanent visa or work placement in Australia after you graduate. Their job is to help with applications, so if it sounds too good to be true, keep looking. A reputable agent will be honest about the application process.

Living in Australia

Living in Australia will be a new experience, but there are support services in your institution as well as from other organizations to help make adjusting to life in Australia easier.

As Australia is the fourth happiest country in the world (Prosperity Index 2012) and we have five of the 30 best cities in the world for students (Top University Rankings 2012), you are sure to enjoy your time here.


Once you have been accepted to study at an institution and have received confirmation of your student visa, the next step is to start planning for your arrival.

Here is a checklist to help you plan your departure:

Passport and Visa – Check that your passport is valid for at least 6 months prior to your entry arrival in Australia, and that you have all your visa documentation. It is also a good idea to make copies of your passport in case you lose your passport.

Student enrolment and orientation documents – You will need your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) and student information pack, which you will have received from your institution.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) – This is a requirement for entry to Australia, so make sure you have your health cover policy arranged before you leave home.

Travel Insurance – You should also consider travel insurance, which covers things your OSHC may not – such as cancelled flights, lost documents, dental or optical care, etc.

Airfares – Make sure you are aware of the date and time of your flight. Keep your flight details in a safe and secure place, with your passport and visa.

Contact details – You may want to have a list of emergency contact details for family, as well as your embassy, accommodation and institution details. If you have used an education agent, keep their contact details on you, in case you need to contact them once you arrive in Australia.

Australian currency – There are money exchange places available at Australian airports and in cities, but it is recommended to have some Australian currency on you prior to leaving your home country.

Transport from the airport – Whether you are taking public transport, a taxi, or you are being picked up from the airport by your education provider, it is important that you have all the details including the time, the route and, if your travel has been arranged by your institution, their contact details. If you need a map to assist you in getting to your accommodation from the airport, they will be available at the airport, or you can print one prior to leaving.

Accommodation details – Make sure you have the address of where you will be staying as well as their phone number and payment confirmation (if you have already paid for your accommodation).


When you arrive at an Australian airport, you will first need to go through immigration and customs clearance. If you need help finding your way around, just ask the airline staff or one of the border officials in the arrivals area. A clearance officer will check your travel document and visa, and once cleared you will be able to collect your luggage to go through customs and quarantine clearance processes.


Once you have confirmed where you will be studying, you can look for accommodation that suits your needs and budget. Some tips when searching for accommodation include:

The costs will vary depending on your chosen state, city, and type of accommodation.

Always confirm the total cost and any other expenses you may be required to pay, such as a bond and utility fees.

Consider how far it is from your campus and whether it is easily accessible by public transport, such as bus or train.

Find out what shopping centres, hospitals and emergency service facilities, and other amenities are nearby.

Short-term accommodation

Short-term accommodation options you might want to consider when you first arrive in Australia include:

Hostels and discounted rates on hotels.

Temporary housing which may be offered through your institution while you get settled. Talk to your institution's international support staff or check their website for details.


You can rent or 'lease' a property by yourself or with friends. This can be done through a real estate agent or privately. When renting a property you will need to pay a security deposit or 'bond' (which is usually four weeks rent), as well as rent in advance (also usually four weeks). The bond is held to repair any damage that you, your house mates or house guests cause to the property while renting. Some, or all, of this amount may be refunded to you once your tenancy agreement has terminated.

For more information on your rights and obligations when renting in Australia you should visit the relevant government Fair Trading agency in your state/territory.

On Campus

Campus living can be a great option to minimize travel. Most universities have comfortable and furnished apartment-style living on campus or close by, sometimes with cleaning and meals included. Contact your institution directly to find out the accommodation options they have available and how the costs compare with organizing your own accommodation.


With homestay, you will live with a family in their home. Homestay can be a good option for younger students as you will have all the comforts of an established home, often with meals and cleaning included. Families offering homestay accommodation to international students are thoroughly screened to ensure they can provide a suitable living environment for students.


Working while you study in Australia can help complement your study and living experience. There are a number of reasons you might want to undertake part time work while studying in Australia, including assisting with living expenses and gaining work experience in your study area.

Most student visas allow you to work for up to 40 hours every two weeks while your course is in session, and unrestricted hours during any scheduled course break, but before you undertake any paid work you need to make sure your visa allows you to work.

Paid work

Australia has a wide range of industries and many have part time employment opportunities. The most popular areas for international students to work in Australia are: Retail - supermarkets, department and clothing stores, Hospitality - cafes, bars and restaurants, Tourism - hotels and motels, Agricultural - farming and fruit-picking, Sales and telemarketing, Administration or Clerical roles, Tutoring, baby sitting.

If you have existing qualifications and/or professional work experience, you may be able to secure casual or part time work in your field.


Paid or unpaid internships can be a great way to get exposure to the professional, financial and creative industries.


There are many charities and non-government organizations (NGOs) in Australia and they always need volunteers to help out. It can be a great way to meet friends, get some hands on work experience and give back to the community.

Your rights

Everyone working in Australia, including international students or those on working holiday visas, have basic rights at work. These rights protect entitlement to: A minimum wage, Challenge of unfair dismissal from the job, Breaks and rest periods, A healthy and safe work environment.

Most employers in Australia are covered by an ‘award’, which sets minimum wages and conditions for a given field of work or industry.

You will also need to get a tax file number to work in Australia.

Finding Work

There are plenty of ways to find work that suits you, including:

Newspapers and online job sites.

Some institutions provide job notice-boards on campus and online. Contact your institution’s international student support staff to find out what options your institution offers.

Register your details at a recruitment firm; many of them help place people in casual or short-term work.

Living costs

Knowing the average living costs in Australia is an important part of your financial preparation. For your reference, Below are some of the costs associated with living and studying in Australia. (All costs are in Australian dollars.)


The costs will vary depending on your chosen state, city, and type of accommodation. Always confirm the total cost and any other expenses you may be required to pay, such as a bond and utility fees.

Hostels and Guesthouses - $80 to $135 per week

Shared Rental - $70 to $250 per week

On campus - $80 to $250 per week

Homestay - $110 to $270 per week

Rental - $100 to $400 per week

Boarding schools - $10,000 to $20,000 a year

Other living expenses

Groceries and eating out - $80 to $200 per week

Gas, electricity - $60 to $100 per week

Phone and Internet - $20 to $50 per week

Public transport - $10 to $50 per week

Car (after purchase) - $150 to $250 per week

Entertainment - $50 to $100 per week

Insurance (OSHC)

It is a condition of your student visa that you have continuous OSHC for the duration of your stay in Australia. OSHC allows international students to access health care without experiencing financial hardship.

OSHC is Overseas Student Health Cover in Australia. It is a health insurance which is obligatory if you apply for student visa.

This insurance is valid since your arrival to Australia. You usually have to pick up your health cover card from reception of your school after the beginning of your course or at your insurance company office.


Australia has a range of choices when it comes to managing your money, from banks that cover the whole country to local credit unions and building societies. Here are some quick tips on setting up your bank accounts.

You can set up a bank account before or after you arrive.

To open an account you will need to have your Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE), passport, Letter of Offer and other forms of identification

Education agents or student support officers at your university or college will be able to give you information on how to set up a bank account.

Phone and Internet

Australia has a range of phone and internet services available, including public phones, fixed (landline) phones, mobile and internet.

Mobile phones

It is best to purchase a SIM card or Australian mobile number when you arrive in Australia, as using your home phone number will incur high costs. There are two types of mobile phone accounts you can choose from:


A prepaid service gives you flexibility because you control how much you spend and can stop using the service any time. Pre-paid SIM cards are sold in many shops and supermarkets, as well as by mobile phone providers. After an easy set-up process with the provider, you will have a working Australian mobile number which you can top up with credit as needed. You can usually top up your prepaid service online or at a range of retail outlets. Your mobile phone provider can provide details on how you can top up your service.


If you will be using your mobile a lot, and will be in Australia for a fixed period of time for study, a contract might work out cheaper for you. There are numerous mobile phone operators in Australia, and you can choose from a range of phone plans where you can get the handset with little (if any) up-front cost; you then pay a fixed price per month for a certain amount of calls, text messages and data.


Many internet providers in Australia are also mobile or fixed phone carriers, and they offer pre-paid or contract internet plans similar to the above. If you choose a contract service, you will receive a modem, and just like a phone service, you pay a monthly rate to get a certain data allowance. Ask the providers you are considering for details of plans that might suit you.


The transport options available in Australia include buses, trains, trams and ferries. Your access to these transport services will vary depending on where you live. You will also be able to access private and public car services from taxis to hired limousines, available to take you from door to door.

Some larger education providers will also have their own in-house transport system, especially useful if you have to leave your campus late at night or live in a hard-to-reach area.

Public transport costs vary depending on where in Australia you live and the type of transport you are using.


If you hold a current drivers license in your home country, you might be able to drive in Australia without sitting for any further driving tests. But remember that many state and territory governments require you to get an Australian drivers license if you are here for more than three months. Your license requirements, and any driving restrictions, are managed by the state or territory government where you are living.

After graduation

After your graduation, you have several options available to you whether you stay in Australia or head home. You may be able to continue your studies in Australia to pursue a higher level qualification or another field of study, you may be eligible to undertake post study work to put your newly gained knowledge to use and gain work experience in Australia, or you may choose to go home to undertake further study or work there.

If you decide you want to undertake further study or work in Australia you will need to check whether your visa allows this or whether you need to apply for a new visa. You can go to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website to check your visa conditions and find out what your options are.

Wherever your path leads, think about joining an alumni group from your institution. It will help you stay in touch with your classmates, and can provide you with great benefits and opportunities.

Study in Australia Help team endeavour to keep the information on this page up-to-date. However, in case you found anything being not up-to-date or incorrect, we appreciate your feedback . Let us know in case of anything that could improve the quality of the information provided on this page. We aim to provide clear realistic straight forward information for international student willing to live the Australian dream.

Content courtesy of www.studyinaustralia.gov.au.